We welcome your questions. Your question and answer not here? See our " Contact Us" page.

I am interested in becoming a counselor. Why should I go to East Tennessee State University?
Answer: Great question.We are proud of our counseling program and hope you will check out our site and see what we have to offer. Also, check out our " advantages" page. We think you will agree, we have a lot to offer.

I'm interested in applying for your master's degree, what do I need to do?
Answer: Great! We review applications once a year in the spring and admit people for the summer or fall of that year. Application deadline is February 15. We require an application, transcripts, 3 letters of recommendation, the GRE general, a personal statement/essay. For more details visit our Admissions page. You are also encouraged to check out the Graduate Studies website at www.etsu.edu/gradstud

Do you have tuition assistance?
Answer: In addition to Federal financial aid, our students are very successful at securing Tuition Scholarships and Graduate Scholarships.

Is the GRE required for admission?
Answer: The GRE general test is required for admission into our Master's degree program. The GRE is not required for the Ed. S. in Counselor Leadership.

I am interested in becoming a professional counselor, but I'm not sure about concentration? Do I have to decide before I apply?
Answer: The short answer is "yes." We admit people into a concentration. It is possible to "switch" concentrations after you are admitted and it is helpful to talk with your advisor. Also, it is possible to take course work that is associated with more than one concentration. For instance a school counseling student could take additional coursework associated with the community counseling concentration leading to becoming a licensed professional counselor. Keep in mind you earn one degree in one concentration (i.e., no "dual" degrees).

I already have a Master's Degree in Teaching (or Administration), which courses are required to be licensed as a school counselor?
Answer: A Master's degree in School Counseling is required to be a School Counselor (there is not an add-on option in Tennessee). You are welcome to apply to our program and petition to earn a 2nd Master's degree. The curriculum for school counselors is very different than that of teachers or administrators.

Is a school counselor the same as a guidance counselor?
Answer: Technically, yes. the term "guidance counselor" is outdated although it is not uncommon to hear individuals use the term. It is also common to have positions and job descriptions listed as "Guidance Counselor" even today. The professionally appropriate term is "Professional School Counselor" or "School Counselor" and we continue to advocate for its use today. In fact, in the state of Tennessee there is a regulation that passed in 1999 that the official term be known as "School Counselor."

I have a Master's degree in Counseling with a concentration in Community Agency counseling. What would it take to become a school counselor?
Answer: For individuals with a Master's degree in counseling or a related mental health field, you ay be able to take the required courses to earn a school counselor license. Typically these are specific school counseling courses, internships in elementary and secondary schools, and perhaps required education courses for those with no teaching experience or degree. You are welcome to contact us and we will help you determine the courses you need to order earn licensure as a school counselor. We recommend that you first look at Tennessee State School Counselor License regulations.

If I earn my School Counseling degree at ETSU, can I become a School Counselor in another state?
Answer: It's possible. Upon graduation and application for licensure, our students receive an initial license as a school counselor in TN. Regardless of where you hope to work, this path is recommended because many states have reciprocity with other states so that licenses my "transfer" if requirements are needed. Graduates from the School Counseling program at ETSU are in a good position as we meet or exceed many state requirements including CACREP accreditation, 2 required education courses for any person who does not have a teaching degree/certificaton, and the requirement to pass the PRAXIS II exam in School Counseling. However, be sure to check with the states in which you are interested to be sure of their requirements. We cannot "guarantee" licensure any other states. Check out the American School Counselor Association for information on School Counselor License requirements for each state.

I am really interested in working in a higher education setting, but I'm not sure I want to work in a counseling center, is the higher education concentration in counseling still an option for me?
Answer: Yes, it is. Individuals who graduate with a Master's in Counseling degree with a concentration in higher education are well prepared to work in a variety of areas within higher education. See information about our College Counseling/Student Affairs concentration. Keep in mind, individuals who go through our program are educated to be professional counselors and hold a counseling identity - and students can utilize their internships to gain experience in a variety of areas.


Welcome picnic

hooding ceremony

direct edit