What can I do with a B.S. in Human Services?
Answer: Graduates of our program are readily employed by a variety of local social service agencies. Some examples of job categories which our graduates secure are: drug & alcohol counselor, family support specialist, case manager, social services specialist, and child abuse worker. Check out this website offered through ETSU Career and Internship Services - What can I do with this major - Human Services?

Is there a minor in Human Services?
Answer: There is not a minor called - Human Services. However, we offer two minors within the program that are complementary to a variety of majors: Human Development and Learning or Family Studies. Students earning a B. S. in Human Services are required to complete a minor.

How many credit hours are required to obtain this degree?
Answer: The B.S. degree in Human Services is a 120 credit hour program. This includes general education, specific courses in Human Services, interdisciplinary courses, a minor, and elective courses. A practicum and internship are required components.

What is practicum and internship?
Answer: Practicum and internship are classes in which the student is working out in the human services field. Each student is required to complete one practicum and one internship in order to graduate from this program. We assist with appropriate placements.

Can I do my practicum in the evening or on weekends?
Answer: It depends. Most social services agencies operate during normal business hours and it is during this time that qualified agency personnel are available to supervise students. There are some agencies that do have hours in the evening and weekends.  It depends on the agency that you are doing your hours with.  These valuable experiences are a highlight of the program.

I want a B. S. in Human Services but have been admitted into a different program - How do I switch majors?
Answer: Changing a major means that a student has made a decision regarding academic and career interests. Whenever you change your major, be mindful of the fact that you may be required to take additional coursework in the new major. For information regarding major coursework see our link: B. S. in Human Services. An Undergraduate Change of Major Form is available in the Office of the Registrar, Burgin E. Dossett Hall, Room 101. You must complete a change of major form to officially change university documents and to transfer your advisement to the department of your new major (Counseling and Human Services). To complete the form - make an appointment with one of th following Human Services faculty members (see below).

Who do I see for advisement?
Answer: Advisement is recommended throughout the program in order to achieve timely completion of all requirements! It is important that students regularly seek out advisement both for major and minors in order to stay on track and avoid any issues from arising later. If you are seeking a B.S. in Human Services you will need to contact one of the following faculty Ms. Teresa Brooks-Taylor at , Dr. Steve Cockerham at or Dr. Mary Langenbrunner at mailto: . If you are seeking a minor in either Human Development and Learning or Family Studies you will need to contact the program coordinator Dr. Kridler at . It is very important to complete major/minor sheets at the latest the beginning of the semester prior to graduation to assure you have the requirements. For instance - graduating in May? Then seek advisement and form completion by October the semester prior. Graduating in December - then seek advisement and form completion by February!

How long will it take me to obtain the B.S. in Human Services?
Answer: An individual enrolled full-time in the program may earn their degree in four years. The completion time for part-time students varies depending on the number of courses for which they enroll each semester. Advisement throughout the program assists in proceeding in a timely manner!

Are any of your courses available as online courses?
Answer: We do have several options for on-line courses and are in the process of developing an on-line option for degree completion. Course concentration numbers 9XX indicate on-line sections. Are you interested in completing the degree on-line? We would like to hear from you.

Is financial aid available to students enrolled in this program?
Answer: Often students can find additional financial aid resources through the ETSU Financial Aid Office at http://www.etsu.edu/finaid/.

Is a B.S. in Human Services the right degree to have to become a counselor? After completing the B.S. degree in Human Services, will I be eligible for licensure as a mental health professional?
Answer: The term "counselor" is applied to many settings and jobs. It is possible to be to have a job title as a "counselor" with a B.S. in Human Services. However, in order to become a licensed Professional Counselor or a School Counselor, a graduate degree is required. The degree in Human Services prepares people for a variety of professions that may be attained upon graduation. In addition, a B.S. in Human Services will prepare someone for graduate school in counseling or a related field, if they choose to seek additional education. Check out our M. A. degree in Counseling. For more information about professional counseling check out the American Counseling Association and the American School Counseling Association.
Keep in mind licensure as a Professional Counselor varies from state to state. In Tennessee, to be licensed as a mental health professional, an individual must have earned at least a master's degree in a relevant discipline, must have completed several years of post-master's supervised experience, and must pass a state administered examination. To become a Licensed School Counselor (sometimes referred to as "guidance counselor), a Master's degree in School Counseling is required. However, most jobs in the human services field do not require an individual to be licensed.

What is a Human Services - Board Certified Practitioner and how could I become one?
Answer: Graduates of the Human Services program do satisfy the academic requirements for a Human Services-Board Certified Practitioner. Information about the HS-BCP certification can be found at the following website: http://www.cce-global.org/HSBCP






 Check out Goal 5 of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services including the objective to strengthen the Nation's human services workforce!





direct edit