Shimin Zheng, Ph.D.
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Office: Room 46B Lamb Hall
M.S. in Biostatistics (2001) University of Alabama at Birmingham
Biostatistics I (BSTA 5310)
N. Chernov, Shimin Zheng. Linearization of regression problems with optimal weights. Presentation at 2006 Hawaii International Conference on Statistics, Mathematics and Related Fields, January 16, 2006 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
M Williams, R Kristofco, L Casebeer, M Saag, Shimin Zheng, S Katta. Uncertainty in medical practice of physicians treating HIV-infected patients. The XV International AIDS Conference, 2004. Abstract TuPeD5196. Bangkok, Thailand.
Huang D, Bidesi A, Shimin Zheng, Rao U: Hippocampal changes associated with adolescent depression. Presented at the 93rd Annual Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, LA, October 7-11, 2007.
Rao U, Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A: Effect of early adversity on hippocampal volume in depressed adolescents. Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Boca Raton, FL, December 9-13, 2007.
Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A, Rao U: Hippocampal changes associated with adolescent depression. Presented at the The 46th Annual Medical Student Research Forum, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, January 22, 2008.
Gerald Jogerst Gerald, Jogerst Mee, Young Kim, Shimin Zheng. Predictors of Acceptable Treatments for Late-life Depression, accepted by the NAPCRG Program Committee for presentation at the 2009 NAPCRG Annual Meeting being held Nov 14-18, 2009 at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel, West Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1. Karan P. Singh, Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng. (2003). Mixed-Effects Linear Models based on Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions. Advances and Applications in Statististics, 3(2):135-143.
2. Shimin Zheng, Sejong Bae, Alfred A.Bartolucci and Karan P. Singh. Power Exponential Distributions. (2003). International Journal of Reliability and Applications, 4(3):97-111.
3. Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng, and Karan P. Singh. (2003). Random Regression Models Based on the Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 2(2):359-370.
4. Casebeer LL, Kristofco R, , Strasser S, Reilly M, Krishnamoorthy P, Rabin A, Shimin Zheng, Karp S, Myers L. (2004). Standardizing evaluation of on-line continuing medical education: physician knowledge, attitudes, and reflection on practice. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 24(2):68-75.
5. Nancy Bennett, Casebeer LL, Shimin Zheng, Kristofco R. Information-Seeking Behaviors and Reflective Practice. (2006). Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 26(2):123-130.
6. Linda Casebeer, Kathryn Andolsek, Maziar A. Joseph Green, Norman Weissman, Erica Pryor, Shimin Zheng, Thomas Terndrup. (2006) Evaluation of an Online Bioterrorism Continuing Medical Education Course. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 26(2):140-147.
7. Shimin Zheng, Uma Rao, Alfred A. Bartolucci, and Karan P. Singh. (2009). Random Regression Models Based on the Skew Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics, 4(1):21-32.
8. Michael E. Ernst, Barry L. Carter, Shimin Zheng, Richard H. Grimm. (2010).
9. Cynthia A. Weber, Michael E. Ernst, Genesis S. Sezate, Shimin Zheng, Barry L. Carter. (2010). Pharmacist-Physician Comanagement of Hypertension Reduces 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressures. Arch Intern Med, 170(18):1634-1639.
10. Shimin Zheng, A. K. Gupta and Xuefeng Liu. (2011). Multivariate and Matrix Variate Skew t and Skew Pearson Type VII Distributions. Technical Report, No. 11-08, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio.
11. Gerald J. Jogerst MD, Shimin Zheng, Mee Young Kim, Elena Frolova. (2012). Late-Life Depression: An International Study. Family Practice, 29(4):407-415.
12. Shimin Zheng, J. M. Hardin and A. K. Gupta. (2012). The Inverse Problem of Multivariate and Matrix Variate Skew Normal Distribution. Statistics -- A Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 46(3):361-371.
13. Gerald J. Jogerst MD, Jeanette M. Daly RH, PhD, Shimin Zheng, Yinghui Xu. (2012). Substance Abuse Associated with Elder Abuse in the United States. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38(1):63-69.
14. Shimin Zheng, A. K. Gupta. (2012). A New Approach to Statistical Efficiency of Weighted Least Squares Fitting Algorithms for Reparameterization of Nonlinear Regression Models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 142(4):1001-1008.
15. David Blackley, Behringer, Bruce, Shimin Zheng. (2012). Cancer Mortality Rates in Appalachia: Descriptive Epidemiology and an Approach to Explaining Differences in Outcomes. Journal of Community Health, 37(4):804-813.
16. KS Wang, XF Liu, Shimin Zheng, Min Zeng, Yue Pan, Katie Callahan. (2012). A novel locus for body mass index on 5p15.2: A meta-analysis of two genome-wide association studies. Gene, 500(1):80-84.
17. David Blackley, Shimin Zheng, Winn Ketchum. (2012). Implementing a weighted spatial smoothing algorithm to identify a lung cancer belt in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology, 36(5):436-438.
18. Wang L, Anderson JL, Dalton WT, Wu TJ, Liu XC, Shimin Zheng, Liu XF. (2012). Maternal Depression and Childhood Overweight or Obesity. Maternal and Child Health Journal, Epub ahead of print, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/ 22833333.
19. Shimin Zheng, A. K. Gupta and Xuefeng Liu. (2012). A matrix variate generalization of the skew pearson type VII and skew T distribution. Mathematical Sciences Research Journal, 16(6):136-156.
20. David Blackley, Liang Wang, Shimin Zheng, James Anderson. (2012). The association between marital status and extensive stage small-cell lung cancer at diagnosis in Kentucky residents, 2005 through 2009. Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association, (in press).
Research Projects (2006-present)
1. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Interventions to Improve Colon Cancer Screening in Poor Rural Iowa Counties. ACS, 2008-2010.
2. Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Comparative Effectiveness of FIT vs. colonoscopy for colon cancer screening. NIH R15, 2009-2010.
3. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Management by Primary Care Clinicians of Patients Suspected of Having Community-Acquired, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (CA-MRSA) . AHRQ, 2008-2010.
4. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Iowa Research Network (IRENE): A Rural Primary Care Practice Based Research Network. AHRQ, 2008-2010.
5. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). An evaluation of the Wise QI program screening. NIH R15, 2008-2009.
6. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Treatment prediction in adolescent and adult depression. NIH R15, 2006-2008.
7. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Stress response and smoking cessation in youth using a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design. NIH R15, 2006-2008.
8. Shimin Zheng (Statistician) Risk for substance abuse in depressed adolescents. NIH R01, 2006-2008.
9. Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Wellness Partners: Adaptation of CATCH Kids Club and the NIH We Can! Curricula to Prevent Child Obesity in Afterschool Care Settings. NIH R15 (under review), 2012-2014.
American Statistical Association
Table Tennis, Reading, Music.