ETSU School of Graduate Studies Guidelines For Thesis, Dissertation, and Capstone Awards
Click here for a list of recipients
- To recognize outstanding graduate students for their achievements.
- To increase the profile of graduate education at ETSU.
- To help promote excellence in graduate research.
Five types of awards are given out each year:
- Dissertation award: up to 1 per year.
- Thesis awards: up to 3 total per year.
Capstone Project (non-thesis culminating project) award: up to 1 per year.
- Arts and Humanities 1 award
- Education and Social Sciences 1 award
- Computer Science, Mathematics, Technology and the Sciences 1 award
Individual plaques as well as a monetary award of $250 (as funds allow) for each award recipient will be presented at an annual awards ceremony in April sponsored by the School of Graduate Studies.
One large plaque for each type of award will be on display in the School of Graduate Studies lobby.
- Students must be nominated in writing by an ETSU graduate faculty member.
- Thesis or dissertations must be approved by the student's advisory committee, must have been successfully defended, and must have received final approval from the Graduate School.
- Capstone/culminating project write-ups (non-thesis) must have received final approval from advisor/department, and a copy must be submitted with the nomination.
- Nominees must be in good academic standing (have a minimum GPA of 3.0) with expected graduation in the current academic year or have graduated within the previous 12 months.
- Students nominated in a previous year are not eligible for re-nomination.
Applications will be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Application form/instructions can be found in the Thesis/Dissertation section of the Graduate School's forms page.
- The student is nominated in writing by an ETSU graduate faculty member using the nomination form and including a letter supporting the nomination. Download the nomination form here.
- Attach a copy of the student's curriculum vitae (3 pages max).
(Note: Theses and dissertations have a CV included, although this is usually very brief. The CV supplied with the nomination can be up to 3 pages in length)
- Send the nomination form and attached CV to the attention of Dr. Bartoszuk, Associate Dean, School of Graduate Studies, ETSU Box 70720, Johnson City, TN 37614 or via email at email@example.com
- Nominations are due by March 1st of each year.
EVALUATION OF NOMINEES
- Nominations will be reviewed by committee (1 per award category or sub-category). Each committee will be made up of ETSU graduate faculty members with expertise in the general categories, and they will be chaired by a member of the ETSU Graduate Council.
- The dean or assistant dean of the School of Graduate Studies, who is responsible for approval of ETD's, will also attend each meeting. Each committee has the right to decline choosing an award recipient for any given year depending upon the quality of the nomination pool.
- Grant recipients will be notified through a letter from the School of Graduate Studies. Notification will occur by the beginning of April. Copies of the letter will be sent to their advisory committee chair and their departmental chair. An award ceremony will be held later in April to recognize award recipients.
List of Outstanding Thesis, Dissertation and Capstone Award Recipients