Why Study Abroad for a semester or a year?
Learning in a different culture provides students an unique opportunity to grow as a person and enhance intellectual abilities. The reasons for studying abroad are many:
- Explore and appreciate new cultures
- Learn or become fluent in a second language
- Explore new areas of study
- Broaden personal and educational perspectives
- Make friends from around the world
- Learn how other students from other countries learn
- Enhance your resume
- Gain an understanding of the interdependence of nations
What different programs are available?
At ETSU there are three main ways to spend a semester or year abroad. They are as follows:
Bilateral Exchange Programs - participants pay tuition and fees at ETSU, room and board at host institution.
ISEP - participants pay tuition, fees, room, and board at ETSU.
Direct Enrollment - participants pay tuition (including out of state), fees and room and board directly to host institution.
John Cabot University - preapproved courses; participants pay tuition and room direct to JCU at discounted rates.
How do I get started?
- Attend a Study Abroad Information Session.
- Research available programs through our website or pick up an information packet in the International Programs and Services lobby located in Yoakley Hall.
- Meet with your academic advisor to determine how studying abroad fits into your schedule or degree.
- Schedule an advising appointment by calling International Programs and Services: (423)-439-7737.
- Fill out a Study Abroad Inquiry Form and bring it to your advising appointment.