The ETSU department of Campus Recreation offers patrons multiple route 40 foot climbing and caving walls to enjoy. The indoor wall is open during peak hours during the week. The outdoor wall also operates during peak business hours of the Basler Center as long as weather allows.
Basler Challenge Course Reservation Procedures (Team Building)
1. Contact Campus Recreation Adventure Program coordinator; 439-7981.
2. Complete Basler Challenge Course Planning Form. Include preferred dates and times as well as some alternatives.
3. Return the BCC Planning Form to Campus Recreation Adventure Program Coordinator a minimum of two weeks prior to preferred date.
4. Adventure Coordinator will schedule preferred date or alternative date.
5. A confirmation letter will be sent to the group leader stating program dates, times, number of participants and activities to be presented.
6. Master copies of “Future Participant” letter, “Acknowledgement of Risk/Informed Consent” and “Medical Information” forms will be included with the confirmation letter. Photocopy the appropriate number of forms for your group. Completing and returning these forms to the Campus Recreation Adventure Coordinator prior to the program date will help maximize activity time.
Open Climb* Starts Monday, August 31st
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
*The indoor climbing wall will be closed from Monday, November 9th through Sunday, November 15th due to a Climbing Club Competition that will be taking place on Saturday, November 14th.
During rainy weather, outdoor climb will be moved to the indoor wall during this time. Climbing wall hours are subject to change due to inclement weather and other special programming. To assure that the climbing wall is open, feel free to contact the Basler Center at 439.7980. Any other questions can be directed to the Outdoor Adventure coordinator at 439.7981.
Basler Challenge Course and Climbing Wall Rules
Climbing facilities include the “Carolina Tower”, “Alpine Tower” (located outside at the Basler Challenge Course), and the “Indoor Wall” located in the lobby of the Basler Center for Physical Activity. The following policies and procedures have been developed for the safe and enjoyable use of these facilities.
1. Minimum age requirement is 12 years. Under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
2. All climbers must have a completed and signed “Medical Questionnaire” form and “Acknowledgement of Risk, Informed Consent and Release of Liability” agreement on file at each climbing site.
3. All climbers must sign “Climber’s Log” before climbing.
4. All Climbers must wear their “Climber’s Card” when harnessed.
5. Remove jewelry, empty pockets and use safety straps for glasses.
6. Authorized instructors must be present and attentive.
7. Closed face shoes are required. Climbing shoes, athletic shoes, tennis shoes and hiking boots are acceptable – no sandals!
8. Ball chalk only, no loose chalk, no chalk on ropes.
9. No horseplay or unsafe conduct will be tolerated!
10. Proper care of equipment is a must. No stepping on ropes, dropping/tossing carabiners/belay devices, or other unsafe actions.
11. Proper climbing procedures and commands must be used.
12. Problems such as accidents, loose holds and equipment damage must be reported to staff immediately.
For policies and procedures regarding personal harness use, bouldering, belay authorization, lead climbing, helmet use please refer to staff members on duty.