High School Senior-year prep for college
During their senior year in high school, Upward Bound students are provided with a number of resources to help with college preparation including:
- FAFSA assistance
- Application assistance to any college (including one free college application)
- Researching and applying for scholarships
- Introduction to college/university terms
- Preparing for the personal and academic adjustment to the college environment
Summer Bridge Program
The summer after senior year, Upward Bound students have the opportunity to take college up to two courses at ETSU as part of the Bridge Program. These courses are usually general education courses that will most likely transfer to other institutions. Students have the opportunity during senior year to choose between the following three options for their Summer Bridge Program:
Take 1 (up to 3 credit hour) ETSU Course and a Life Skills Seminar during Summer Term 1
Requirements for Option 1 students:
- Complete 2021-2022 FAFSA
- Be Admitted to ETSU for Summer 2022 (apply as a Freshman HERE)
- Attend All Classes and SI (supplemental instruction, if required for course) and receive a letter grade of a C or better.
- Complete an individual meeting with UB Staff
- Attend all Bridge Meetings
- Participation in all Life Skills Assignments
Upward Bound will cover tuition, fees, and e-book rental for class slected; however students will be required to verify residency with ETSU Admissions to recieve In-State Tutition Rate.
Students will take 2 ETSU courses during Summer Term 1
- Up to 6 semester credit hours
- In the past, options for Bridge classes included: Theater, Argument and Debate, Sociology, and/or Psychology
Students must complete 2 different FAFSAs
- 2021-2022 FAFSA
- 2022-2023 FAFSA
- Students will also be required to complete verification requirements if selected
- Students who do no follow through with verification will be asked to participate in Option 1 only
Upward Bound will pay for some of the cost
- Upward Bound will assume the cost for course e-books, up to 3 semester credit hours in tuition and fees, and room and board.
- Payment for the remaining balance will be taken from the 2021-2022 Financial Aid Award
- If Financial Aid does not cover all od the remaining balance, Upward Bound may cover the remainder
- If a student is over-awarded they will be responsbile for returning the amount to ETSU Financial Aid.
Students will be required to attend Supplemental Instruction (SI), weekly Bridge meeting, and class.
- Failure to attend class, SI, and/or meetings could result in the loss of ability to attend the end of summer trip
Requirements for Option 3 Students:
- Attend Bridge Meetings
- Individual Meeting with UB Staff
- Participate in Life Skills Seminar Assignments
Please contact Brandon if you have any questions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Semester Bridge Requirements
All Upward Bound students participating in Summer Bridge Program will be required to complete the following during fall semester:
- Apply to ETSU for Summer following graduation from high school.
- Completion of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Complete short essay on how Upward Bound has helped prepare you for college. This should be 250 words and typed.
- Click HERE for a graphic with more information on fall requirements along with links to help you compete them!
- If you need to update your ETSU Application for Admission to a different term, you can find the steps to do so HERE.
- 2021 Summer Bridge Agreement.
Financial Aid Reqs
All seniors:Be sure to check back often for updates to these scholarship lists. (Updated: 09-06-2018)