College Of Public Health Timeline
2000 - Master of Public Health program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
2006 - Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) degree is first offered.
2007 - PhD in Environmental Health Sciences is added.
2007 - The College divides into the College of Public Health and College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences
2009 - The College of Public Health becomes the first CEPH-accredited school of public health in Tennessee and the first in central Appalachia.
1991 - Master of Public Health (MPH) concentration in Public Health Administration is first offered.
1993 - The School of Public and Allied Health becomes the College of Public and Allied Health, expanding and reorganizing several programs.
1985 - Environmental health department's baccalaureate and graduate programs are re-accredited and declared "best in U.S." by the National Environmental Health Association.
1986 - Master of Public Health (MPH) degree is first offered, including concentrations in Environmental Health Administration, Industrial Health Education, Patient education, and Public Health Education.
1971 - Master of Science in Environmental Health (MSEH) degree is first offered.
1973 - Health Administration concentration is first offered within the Department of Health Education.
1978 - School of Public and Allied Health established, housing departments and degree programs of the former College of Health and added allied health programs. New concentration in Microbiology is added to the Department of Health Sciences.
1961 - Basic Public Health Sanitation Certificate is first offered.
1963 - East Tennessee State College becomes East Tennessee State University (ETSU).
1965 - College of Health adds Departments of Environmental Health and Health Sciences, offering a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health (BSEH); Bachelor of Science (BS) in Health Sciences degree is first offered.
1969 - Environmental Health becomes the first undergraduate program in the U.S. accredited by the National Accreditation Council for Undergraduate Curricula in Environmental Health.
1950 - Minor in Health is first offered.
1955 - School of Health is created; Health Education separates from Physical Education, forming a new department.
1955 - Bachelor of Science(BS) degree in Health Education is first offered.
1943 - Name of college changed to East Tennessee State College.
1945 - Health Service course added, addressing "prompt detection and isolation of communicable diseases; rough screening for defects of a remedial nature, such as teeth, eyes, ears, nose and throat, underweight and overweight; all possible information on detection of heart and lung defects..."
1933 - State Teachers College, Johnson City, offers a concentration in Health within the Bachelor of Science (BS) in Physical Education and Health degree program
1933 - Community Hygiene course is first offered, introducing students to the "work done by public health organizations, volunteer, school, municipal, state, and federal bureaus".