Clinical Supervisor & Listening and Spoken Language Specialist, Auditory Verbal Therapist
2010 M.S., Communication Sciences and Disorders, East Tennessee State University
2007 B.S., Psychology, Lipscomb University
LSLS Certified Auditory-Verbal Therapist
- Assessment and treatment of communication disorders in children
- Auditory-verbal therapy family-based intervention for individuals across the age span
with hearing loss
- Social language and communication skills for children and teenagers on the autism
- Auditory-verbal intervention with the deaf and hard of hearing
- Family coaching in auditory-verbal therapy intervention
- Family perceptions of strategies used in auditory-verbal therapy intervention sessions
to increase listening and spoken language in children with cochlear implants/hearing
- Augmentative and alternative communication use with individuals with communication
- Role of video modeling in promoting language skills for children and adolescents on
the autism spectrum
Lau, M., & Johnson, M. (2018). Putting It All Together: Interprofessional Collaboration
for Children with Hearing Loss. Breaking the SOUND Barrier. Kingsport, Tennessee September
Elangovan, S., & Johnson, M. (2017). Putting it all together: A roundtable featuring
the ETSU cochlear implant team. Breaking the SOUND Barrier. Bristol, Virginia. September
Bramlette, S., Elangovan, S., & Johnson, M. (2016). Putting it all together: A roundtable
featuring the ETSU cochlear implant team. Breaking the SOUND Barrier. Bristol, Virginia.
October 21, 2016.
Johnson, M. (2015). Video Modeling: Building language and social skills in individuals
with autism spectrum disorders. Autism Society of America Tri-Cities Conference. Johnson
City, Tennessee. March 14, 2015.
Johnson, M. (2013). Why is he spinning around? Understanding sensory needs and social
language in young children with autism. ETSU Early Childhood Conference Presentation,
East Tennessee State University. Johnson City, Tennessee. July 26-27.
Johnson, M., Jarrett, A., &Williams, L. (2012). Intervention of Vowel Errors: A Case
Study Using Multiple Oppositions. Poster Presentation, ASHA. Atlanta, GA. November
Abkes, B., Elangovan, S., Johnson, M., & Smith, S. (2012). Cochlear Implantation:
Candidacy, Outcomes and Possibilities. Holston Medical Group, Kingsport, TN. October
Johnson, M. & Rice, A. (2011). Early Childhood Language Delay: Identification of children
at-risk, characteristics, and strategies for building language skills. Community Presentation,
East Tennessee State University. Johnson City, Tennessee. December 7.
Johnson, M. & Rice, A. (2010). Early Childhood Language Delay: Characteristics of
warning signs and strategies for building language skills. ETSU Early Childhood Conference
Presentation, Millennium Centre. Johnson City, Tennessee. July 29.