- Benefits & Opportunities
- The Academic Experience
- Qualifications & Application
- Special Opportunities
- Program Faculty
- Prospective Students
- Student Spotlights
- Alumni, Donors & Friends
- Useful Links
- Honors Home
- Contact Us
The Midway Honors Scholars (MHS) program, limited in size and admission, is competitive. Twenty funded scholars and two unfunded alternates are selected each year for fall enrollment. To be considered for admission, prospective scholars must have a college GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and an earned associate degree or at least 30 credit hours from a community college or 4-year college/university.
Notes on Eligibility: Currently enrolled ETSU students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for admission to this program. If you are graduating from high school in spring 2018 with dual-enrollment credit (even an associate degree), ETSU will classify you as an incoming freshman and you are not eligible for the MHS program. Your first semester at ETSU must be fall 2018 to be eligible to apply.
The Application Deadline for Fall 2018 was March 1, 2018. The application is now closed.
Applicants for Fall 2018 will be informed of their status the first week of April. The application for Fall 2019 will be live by September 1, 2018.
If you are preparing to apply for Fall 2019:
The first step in becoming a Midway Scholar is to apply to ETSU for fall 2019 admission (https://www.etsu.edu/admissions/) and provide an official copy of your transcript to the Admissions Office. You will also have to send an unofficial copy of your transcript to the Midway Program.
Once you have done that, gather the information you need. This is important as the application must be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- Information for the online resume form:
- Scholarstic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Work experience
- Travel experiences
- A formal Cover Letter to the Midway Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes why you are interested in becoming an ETSU Midway Honors Scholar, relevant skills and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
- Your one-page Application Essay in response to a prompt posted on September 1, 2018. The reviewers will be looking for the following in an application essay: originality and creativity; strong point or argument; evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar, structure and language.
- Contact information (email) for three academic references.