Sarah T. Melton is Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice at the Gatton College of Pharmacy at East Tennessee State University. She is the Clinical Pharmacist at Highpower, PC in Lebanon, Virginia and the Johnson City Community Health Center in Johnson City, TN. Dr. Melton received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (1991) and Doctor of Pharmacy (1994) degrees from Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia School of Pharmacy (VCU). She completed a Fellowship in Psychiatric Pharmacy at VCU in 1996. She has been a board certified psychiatric pharmacist (Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties) since 1997 and a board certified ambulatory care pharmacist since 2011. She has been a Certified Geriatric Pharmacist since 2005 and is a Fellow of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists. She performs Medication Therapy Management in the areas of psychiatric and neurologic pharmacy, addiction, and other primary care disorders. She works directly with patients and an interdisciplinary team in the area of substance abuse at Highpower, PC.
She is an author of pharmacy textbook chapters on anxiety disorders in Pharmacotherapy, A Pathophysiologic Approach and on insomnia in the APhA Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. She also authored cases in the casebook that accompanies the Pharmacotherapy text. She has published review articles and research in Annals of Pharmacotherapy, Psychopharmacology Bulletin, Journal of Family Practice, American Family Physician, and the Journal of Pharmacy Practice. She is an author for Medcape Pharmacists: Ask the Experts (http://www.medscape.com/pharmacists/asktheexperts).
Dr. Melton has presented research at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP) and NECDEU national meetings. Areas of interest in research include prescription and over-the counter substance abuse and misuse; addiction in rural Appalachia; tobacco cessation; and mental health in rural Appalachia.
Dr. Melton was awarded the prestigious Health Care Hero Cup of Kindness Award by The Business Journal and King Pharmaceuticals. This award was given in recognition of her community service and contribution to the health and welfare of underserved patients in Southwest Virginia. She was awarded the 2009 Innovative Practice Award by the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists for her presentation regarding the "Role of the Pharmacist in Collaborative Care for Mental Health and Addiction Treatment in Medically Underserved Appalachia." Dr. Melton was featured on the cover of Pharmacy Today, magazine of the American Pharmacists Association, for her work with patients with mental illness in Appalachia. The article can be found online at http://www.pharmacist.com/pharmacist-central-appalachia-addresses-problems-hit-her-community-hardest
She is a member of several pharmacy organizations, including the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, American Pharmaceutical Association, Virginia Pharmaceutical Association, Virginia Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP), and the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists. Dr. Melton was selected to participate in the 2009 and 2010 AACP/Wal-Mart Scholars Program. She currently serves as Senior Editor of the CPNP Recertification Editorial Board (www.cpnp.org) and as an author for the 2010, 2012, and 2014 CPNP Review Courses. She is Chair of the Board of Directors of OneCare of Southwest Virginia (http://onecareva.org/). She was appointed by Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell to serve on the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth in 2010 for a four-year term.
Education, Degree, & Post Graduate Training:
- Fellowship in Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice 1996, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia School of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Pharmacy 1994 Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia School of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Science Pharmacy 1991 Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia School of Pharmacy
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties, Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist 2011- present
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist, Commission for Certification in Geriatric Pharmacy 2005- present
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties, Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist, 1996- present
- Fellow of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists, 2011 present
See website at http://sarahtmeltonpharmd.weebly.com/index.html
Pharmacotherapy of Psychiatric and Neurologic Illnesses, Addiction Medicine, Contemporary Practice of Pharmacy
- Pharmacotherapy of Psychiatric and Neurologic Illnesses
- Substance Abuse and Addiction in Appalachia: Impacting the Community through a Vision of Change
- Contemporary Practice of Pharmacy I, II
- Research Elective
Prescription drug abuse, addiction during pregnancy, neonatal abstinence syndrome, tobacco abuse, naloxone reversal of opioid overdose
Melton ST, Kirkwood CK. Insomnia, Drowsiness and Fatigue. Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs: An Interactive Approach to Self-Care.,18th edition. Eds. Berardi RR, Kroon LA, McDermott JH, et al. In press.
Melton ST. Anxiety Disorders. College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacist Review Course for Board Certification in Psychiatric Pharmacy. January 2014 Melton ST, Kirkwood CK. Generalized Anxiety, Panic and Social Anxiety Disorders. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 9th edition. Eds. Dipiro JT, Talbert RT, Yee GC, et al. In press.
One Care of Southwest Virginia Writing Group. Blueprint for the Control and Mitigation of Substance Abuse and Misuse in Southwest Virginia (Healthy Appalachia Project). June 2011.
Melton ST. Patient Centered Care: Changing Lives. On Being a Pharmacist: True Stories by Pharmacists. Eds. Pangilinan JM, Waddell JA. February 2010.
Melton ST. House Calls. On Being a Pharmacist: True Stories by Pharmacists. Eds. Pangilinan JM, Waddell JA. February 2010.
Melton ST, Kirkwood CK. Eszopiclone. Annals of Pharmacotherapy.2005;39 (10):1659-1666.
Melton ST, Kirkwood CK, Ghaemi SN. Pharmacotherapy of HIV dementia. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 1997;31(4):457-73.
Melton ST, Kirkwood CK, Farrar TW, Brink DB, Carroll NV. Economic evaluation of paroxetine and imipramine in depressed outpatients. Psychopharm Bulletin 1997;33(1):93-100.
Significant Regional, State, or National Service:
- College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists, Senior Editor, Recertification Editorial Board
- College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists, Review Course Author
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Chair, Substance Abuse Special Interest Group
- Tennessee Department of Health Neonatal Abstinence Taskforce
- One Care of Southwest Virginia Chair of Board of Directors
- American Society of Hospital Pharmacists 1991 - 1995
- American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists 1995 - present
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy 1994 - present
- American Pharmacists Association 1991 - present
- Virginia Pharmacists Association 2000 - present
- Education Committee Member 2006 - 2008
- Virginia Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists 2000 - present
- College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists 2000 - present
- Recertification Committee Chair 2010 - present
- Review Course Author 2009 - present
- Recertification Committee Vice-Chair 2009 - 2010
- Recertification Committee Member 2007 - present
- Reviewer, BCPP Review Course 2008
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists 2004 present
- Fellow 2011 - present
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy 2006 present
- Chair 2014- present
- Chair-elect, Substance Abuse Special Interest Group 2011-2014