- Services Provided
- Meet the Staff
- Make an Appointment
- FAQ and Myths
- Calendar of Events
- Self Help
- Helping Others
- Community Resources
- Alcohol & Drug
- THRIVE Suicide & Violence Prevention
- Division of Student Life and Enrollment Home
- Contact Us
This site is under construction Check back with us soon.
ETSU Alcohol & Other Drug Policies & Procedures
ETSU is an alcohol-free campus which means that even if a person is 21-years of age, they may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages while on University property or when participating in or attending a University-sponsored event or activity unless specifically authorized by the President.
Registered student organizations are permitted to serve alcohol at an event with prior permission.
For more information about ETSU tailgating policies CLICK HERE.
Department of Housing & Residence Life
Housing Conduct and Disciplinary Sanctions Violations of University and housing rules and regulations will be dealt with through the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff, and/or referred through the University Disciplinary Procedures.
Residents must be in compliance with all rules and regulations as stated in the Housing Policies, and the University Student Handbook. Residents will be responsible for the behavior of their invited guest(s) and the guest(s) should be in compliance with all rules and regulations. Additional regulations relevant to residents will be made via memoranda flyers, and/or notices.
The following are used in dealing with policy and rule violations within the residence halls and apartments, and depending on the nature and severity of the violation, one or more may be used.
- a) Warning by Resident Advisor (RA)
- b) Conference with Resident Director (RD) and/or Assistant Resident Director (ARD)
- c) Disciplinary warning by Resident Director d) Charged for damages and/or cleaning
- e) Restriction of privileges
- f) Conference with the Area Coordinator, Apartments Manager, or Associate Director for Residence Life
- g) Conference with Associate Director of Housing or Director of Housing and Residence Life
- h) Moved from room, residence hall, or apartment to another room, residence hall, or apartment
- i) In-House Disciplinary warning (does not go in permanent file in the Dean of Students Office)
- j) Official warning
- k) Residence Hall Probation
- l) Assigned work on campus or community service hours
- m) Dismissal from University Housing
- n) Referral to Associate Dean of Students
- o) Referral to the University Counseling Center. The student is mandated to visit the University Counseling Center for an initial evaluation and follow-through on any prescribed treatment program.
- p) Fines – In cases involving violation of the University alcohol, drug and tobacco regulations, fines ranging from $25 to $100, depending on the charge, maybe imposed. All funds from fines will be used to support the University’s drug, alcohol, and tobacco education and awareness program. Housing disciplinary procedures shall provide at least minimum due process as set forth in TBR Policy No. 3:02:00:01 (VI) (E) for general student disciplinary hearings.
In addition to the penalties imposed by the State of Tennessee, individuals arrested for DUI on University property are subject to the ETSU judicial process which may impose additional fines, require additional community service, mandate alcohol and drug screening and treatment, and result in the loss of a campus parking pass.
State & Federal Drug Laws
The Cost of DUI