ETSU encourages you to apply for our International Friendship Program (IFP).
- The IFP matches incoming international students with a short-term host family, who will provide housing for two nights, take students shopping for household essentials, and assist with moving in to housing accommodations. Students and their families often build friendships that last well past the initial hosting period.
- New international students may apply to IFP to have a host when they arrive. ETSU faculty and staff may apply to IFP to be a host.
IFP benefits new international students by:
- Providing someone to pick you up from the airport, feed and house you for two nights, and help you move into your new housing
- Providing an immediate connection in the community who can answer your questions and help you adjust to life here
- Providing the opportunity to experience U.S. culture and daily life
- Providing the opportunity to build a support system in Johnson City
IFP benefits hosts by:
- Providing the opportunity to help a new Buccaneer during a critical time in their educational pursuits
- Allowing you to meet new students and learn about new cultures
- Providing a way to give back to the community and facilitate an environment of inclusion and acceptance in Johnson City
All host families and students come together at the end of each semester for a celebratory thank you dinner.