- Academic Programs
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
A Message from the Graduate Coordinator
Dear Prospective Students:
Thank you for your interest in the Masters of Arts in History program at East Tennessee State University. The History Department at ETSU is dedicated to providing a stimulating and unique atmosphere for research and learning. Our faculty engages in scholarship across a broad range of subjects and we support graduate studies in a variety of fields. Graduates from our program have gone on to doctoral programs at other institutions, to strong careers in teaching, public history, and government work, and to success in the private sector. We offer a vibrant learning community providing the following advantages:
- Our distinguished faculty are actively involved in relevant research within their fields.
- Small class sizes and close interactions with your professors mean that you will be engaged in serious research and study from your first class onward.
- Support for study across a broad spectrum of possible interests. Our masters students conduct research in a wide range of fields. The diverse research interests of our current students and our recent graduates demonstrate the program's -- and the faculty's -- flexibility in developing our students' growth as historians.
- The state-of-the-art Sherrod Library and the renowned Archives of Appalachia offer unique opportunities for original scholarship.
- The History Department is able to offer highly competitive funding packages to many of our full-time students.
- The University and the Department are dedicated to supporting student research and professional development.
- Our alumni have had success across a broad range of fields, including doctoral programs.
- Our location in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, near Asheville, NC presents our students with a wide range of options for ways to spend their free time, helping to promote a healthy work/life balance.
We are thrilled by your interest in the Masters of History program here at ETSU and we invite you to see for yourself if school is the right choice for you as you continue your studies. Information about our admissions process may be found here and other information is available through our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. Additionally, please feel free to contact me with any questions about the program or the University.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Dr. Brian Maxson Graduate Coordinator 423-439-6698