skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Department of Literature and Language

TESOL Certificate or ESL Endorsement

Which Is Right for You, the TESOL Certificate or the ESL Endorsement?

The TESOL certificate program and the endorsement in ESL have similarities in curriculum but distinct goals. Both involve instruction in applied linguistics and language teaching methods. The TESOL certificate is awarded by the Department of Literature and Language, College of Arts and Sciences. The ESL endorsement is granted by the Clemmer College of Education.

Which Program Is Best for You?

It depends on your goals. The TESOL certificate is appropriate for those who wish to teach English abroad or work with ESL adults in the US. The endorsement is required for anyone who wishes to teach English as a Second Language in a K-12 setting in the U.S. It is available only as an add-on to an existing teaching license and is recognized by the State of Tennessee. Undergraduates in Teacher Education may pursue the ESL endorsement as part of their program of study for licensing. However, the TESOL Certificate is a graduate program exclusively.

For further information about the ESL endorsement, please contact in the College Of Education. Those interested in seeking the TESOL certificate should speak with , 423-439-6680.

icon for left menu icon for right menu