- Special Education
- Special Education Add-On Certificates
- Educational Foundations
- RTI Certificate
- Honors-in-Discipline Program
- Minor in Educational Foundations
- Contact Us
Welcome to the Department of Educational Foundations and Special Education!
The Department of Educational Foundations and Special Education has curriculum that supports studies in other departments, graduate and undergraduate degrees in Special Education, 2 minors, and 1 certificate.
Educational Foundations is a program that offers a minor in Leadership which is an interdisciplinary program that can work with any major and a new graduate certificate in Leadership. Additionally, Educational Foundations offers courses on the graduate and undergraduate level that support other education programs in the college of education. Some of the topics include:
- Philosophy in education
- Educational research
- Educational psychology
- Current Educational Issues and Trends
Learn2Lead program aims to equip students with the skills, knowledge, and abilities to maximize leadership potential in their personal and professional lives.The Learn2Lead program features two unique and innovative leadership preparation opportunities: an Interdisciplinary Minor in Leadership Studies for undergraduates and a Graduate Certificate in Community Leadership.
Special Education is a program that prepares future teachers to instruct students with unique learning needs and disabilities.This program meets the teacher licensure requirements in the state of Tennessee.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Special education (SPED) leads to initial teaching license in special education.
- Concentrations are offered in:
- Modified (high-incidence disabilities)
- Comprehensive (low-incidence disabilities)
- Post-baccalaureatePrograms are provided for adding a special education endorsement to existing education licenses. Licensure areas in modified(K-12), comprehensive (K-12), and Early Childhood Special Education are available at this level.
- Minor in Special Education shows an employer that a student has an understanding of individuals of differing ability and evidence-based learning strategies that can benefit all students/clients. Minors are great for students who are majoring in such fields as: social work, psychology, physical therapy, or early childhood.
- Special Education, M.Ed is for candidates seeking licensure in special education enroll in graduate coursework that prepares the candidate for initial teaching licensure in both K-12 Modified Special Education (mild disabilities) and K-12 Comprehensive Special Education (severe disabilities) OR PreK-3 Early Childhood Special Education.
- Advanced Practitioner Concentration is for individuals who are not seeking special education licensure, but who are interested in obtaining an advanced degree in special education may elect to earn a master's degree through the Master of Education in Special Education degree, Advanced Practitioner Concentration.
- Advanced Practitioner Concentration is for teachers who currently hold a valid Tennessee teaching license may add on an endorsement in
the following areas
- K-12 Modified Special Education (Mild Disabilities)
- K-12 Comprehensive Special Education (Severe Disabilities)
- Pre-K-3 Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE; infants to children age 8 with disabilities, certification PreK- 8)