- Data Management
- Contact Us
Important Message to Researchers:
Remember to backup your digital research data every day; network or ETSU OneDrive for Business cloud storage and backup are always best! All faculty, staff, and students have 1 TB ETSU OneDrive accounts - accessible from anywhere with data auto-encrypted in transit and double encrypted at rest!
To provide prompt and practical IT support for ETSU Faculty, Staff, and Students as they perform research and scholarly activities to advance human knowledge and improve the quality of life.
Our Primary Business:
To provide prompt and practical support and follow up for researchers and scholars at ETSU. Our staff will work with you to facilitate planning, procurement, implementation, data management, and archival stages of your research program or scholarly activity.
- Provide support for RedCap online survey tools and protected data security through guest lectures, Zoom online meetings, boot camp training, and one-on-one training sessions.
- Assist with advanced computing services through the Advanced Computing Facility at UT/ORNL or via AWS EC2.
- Customize virtual private research clouds within AWS where your team can share and analyze data and collaborate with internal and external researchers.
- Provision virtual desktops through AWS WorkSpaces.
- Support faculty submitting grant applications with technical specifications, quotes and cost estimates, and product review.
- Provide boilerplates regarding IT support for research and data management best practices at ETSU for inclusion in grant applications and reports. (NOTE: we are working with ORSP to develop a start-to-finish data management plan for submission with federal research grants).
- Upgrade MS Windows 7 or older operating systems to Windows 10 in ETSU research laboratories. (Microsoft support for Windows 7 ended on Jan. 14, 2020. Critical clinical or research computers running Windows 7 were licensed for extended security updates on Feb. 11th, 2020).
- Advise faculty that top tier 4 year old computers re-imaged with WIN10 are available for research and scholarly activity via the re-purposed computer program.
- Promote secure network or cloud storage and backup of research/scholarly data and documents in compliance with the ETSU Digital Research Data Storage & Backup policy.
- Archival storage of research data for departing researchers in compliance with ETSU policy (NOTE: An archive has been set up where departing researchers may leave a copy of their research data accessibly only by the Vice Provost for Research & Sponsored Programs).
- Archival storage of research/scholarly data as a solution for departments, programs, or researchers.
- Meet with you, your group, your club, your committee, or your department to provide information and discuss any elements of research computing and resources in which you have interest.
- Follow up with those for whom we provide services.
- Promote research/scholarly activity through crowd-sourced funding opportunities.
- Maintain a current presence on Facebook and Twitter.
A Visit to Our Office
- Bring us up to speed on IT-related aspects of your current or proposed research or scholarly project.
- We'll help with routine matters as quickly as possible.
- Facing challenges or obstacles? We'll add our collective knowledge and expertise to yours.
- We'll help you develop practical and cost-effective solutions to bring your goals to fruition.