Since 1990, the College Of Nursing has established a network of nurse-managed practice sites that now provide nearly 30,000 primary care and outreach visits each year to underserved clients in the upper northeast Tennessee region. Nurse-managed health care is currently being delivered in clinics located in Johnson City, Washington County, Mountain City (Johnson County) and Sneedville (Hancock County). The practices are funded from capitation; revenue generation; community organizations; hospitals; local, state and federal grants; and service contracts. The Faculty Practice Network has an annual budget of 3.7 million dollars. The Office of Practice of the College of Nursing provides the administration and infrastructure support for the Faculty Practice Network and the nurse-managed clinics.
College of Nursing Clinical Rotation, Research, and Grant Requests
If you wish to complete a precepted clinical placement, conduct research at, or submit a grant for one of the ETSU College of Nursing, nurse-led clinics, please review the information below:
Clinical Rotations Request Process and Requirements for College of Nursing Clinics
Clinical Rotation Request Process
To request a clinical rotation within the College of Nursing (CON) Nurse-Led Clinics (Johnson City Community Health Center, Johnson City Downtown Day Center, University Health Center, Hancock County School Based Health Center, or Mountain City Extended Hours Health Center please follow the process and timeline below:
To be considered for a clinical rotation all requests must be submitted to Lisa Bowen via email in the Office of Practice addressed to CHCStudents@etsu.edu, on or after the dates listed below with “Clinical Rotation Request” in the subject line of the email. These dates will remain the same year to year.
Spring Semester: July 1
Summer Semester: November 1
Fall Semester: February 1
EXAMPLE: To request a rotation for Spring 2019, requests will be accepted no earlier than 7/01/18.
The following information must be included in your request for consideration:
- Student Name
- E# (If ETSU Student)
- Student Email
- Phone Number
- School Attending
- Program (FNP, DNP, etc.)
- Expected Graduation Date
- Which specialty is being requested (Adult, Pediatrics, Women’s Health)
- Number of Hours Needed
- Preferred Clinical Site (JCCHC, JCDDC, UHC, HCSBHC, MCEHHC)
- Date confirmation of acceptance into program needed by
Con Clinical Rotation Requirements
Upon acceptance by the Office of Practice to complete a clinical rotation within the CON Clinics students must provide the following prior to beginning their clinical rotation:
- Criminal Background Check completed within the past 12 months
- Proof of Immunizations:
- Influenza – 1 dose of vaccine annually
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - two doses (dose #1 now, #2 at least 28 days later or positive titer indicating immunity)
- Hepatitis B – 3 dose series (dose #1 now, #2 in 1 month, #3 approximately 5 months after #2 or positive titer indicating immunity)
- Tdap or Td Booster – one dose of vaccine within the past 10 years
- Varicella – 2 dose series 4 weeks apart or positive titer indicating immunity
- Evidence of negative TB skin test annually, or chest x-ray if positive
- Completion and/or proof of ETSU HIPAA Part One and HIPAA Part Two Training
- Completion and/or proof of ETSU Pathogen Training
- Completion and/or proof of ETSU Portable Fire Extinguishers Training
- Completion and/or proof of ETSU Hazard Communication Standard Training
- Completion and/or proof of ETSU Emergency Preparedness Training
- Proof of CPR Certification
- Completion and proof of Electronic Health Records (EHR) Basic Training (Please contact Lisa Bowen in Office of Practice for your specific training requirements)
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CON STUDENTS: Clinical Requirements for the CON Clinics very closely aligns with requirements ETSU CON students had to meet upon acceptance into their program. Therefore, much of the required documentation may already have been uploaded to Project Concert. Upon acceptance, your documentation in Project Concert will be reviewed by the Office of Practice, and you will receive notification of any additional documentation or updates needed to your file.
Documentation required by both the CON and CON Clinics are listed above in italics. Documentation listed in bold is additional information required by CON Clinics above and beyond the CON requirements.
Student Research and Practice Project Requests with College of Nursing Clinics
Students who need to implement a project within any of the College of Nursing (CON) Nurse-Led Clinics (Johnson City Community Health Center, Johnson City Downtown Day Center, University Health Center, Hancock County School Based Health Center, or Mountain City Extended Hours Health Center please follow the process and timeline below:
To have a project considered for implementation all requests must be submitted at least four weeks prior to proposed start date. Requests should be sent to Lisa Bowen via email in the Office of Practice addressed to CHCStudents@etsu.edu with “Student Research & Practice Project Requests” in the subject line of the email.
The following information must be included in your request for project implementation:
- Student Name
- Phone Number
- School Attending
- Name of Project
- Summary of Project
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval required? (If yes, please indicate status of IRB. Once approved please submit copy of IRB Approval Letter)
- Implementation Timeframe/Date
- Will you need Electronic Health Record (EHR) data?
Please Note: If your project requires you to be on location within the CON, or if you require access to EHR or other confidential patient information, you may be required to meet certain other requirements not listed above. These requirements will be discussed with you in further detail upon acceptance of your project.
Grant Implementation Requests for College of Nursing Clinics
Any students/faculty that are writing a grant for submission with the intention of implementing at one of the College of Nursing CON Clinical sites must submit requests for implementation at least four weeks prior to the grant submission deadline. Requests should be sent to Lisa Bowen via email in the Office of Practice addressed to CHCStudents@etsu.edu with “Grant Implementation Request” in the subject line of the email.
The following information must be included in your request for grant implementation:
- Principle Investigator (PI)/Project Director (PD) name
- College of Employment/Title
- Name of Project
- Project Timeline
- Submission Deadline
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval required?
- Letter of Support Requested?