Job Embedded Clinical Experience: East Tennessee State University offers the job embedded clinical experience option to students who are accepted into the ETSU Master of Arts in Teaching program and are employed by a partnering school system as the "teacher of record".
John Kelly Miller (Spring 2019) wrote in one of his reflective assignments:
"I would say that I have learned a lot from my year as a job-embedded student in my classroom. However, the place that I feel where I have learned the most is in the classes that I have had in the MAT program while at ETSU. The faculty and the students that are placed in this program are so willing to make the learning experiences for the new teachers above and beyond what is expected. The support we receive shows us how we should treat our students because I feel that we are respected in this program. Thank you so much for all of the effort given ... to make me the best teacher I can possibly be. I will not let you all down." 🙂 🙂
We serve the following school districts:
- County School Districts: Carter, Cocke, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington counties.
- City School Districts: Blountville, Bristol (TN), Church Hill, Elizabethton, Erwin, Greeneville, Johnson City, Jonesborough, Kingsport, Morristown, Mountain City, Newport, Roan Mountain, Rogersville, Sneedville, and Tusculum.
For more information contact the Office of Residency and Field Experiences.
Ms. Laura Click, Residency Director
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Phone: 423-439-4200
Office: Room 323C Warf-Pickel Hall, Clemmer College
Candidates who wish to participate in ETSU’s Job-Embedded Clinical Experience must meet the following:
I. Qualifications for the Job-Embedded Clinical Practice:
- Obtain admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program
- Provide proof of 3.0 or higher GPA
- Complete a background check
- Obtain a passing score on an appropriate PRAXIS II Content Area Exam
- Obtain an Intent to Hire from a partnering school system in a position for which the candidate is seeking licensure
II. Submit a completed Job-Embedded Residency Application packet that includes:
- “Intent to Hire” form (Note:TN EPP Policy 5.504 indicates that job-embedded candidates shall have a mentor from the school system.)
- Documentation of a passing PRAXIS II Content Area Exam score
- Program of Study form signed by the assigned advisor or program coordinator; the program of study must indicate a schedule for completing all remaining courses
Possible high-need teaching positions include:
- Secondary or Middle Grades Mathematics
- Secondary or Middle Grades Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
- World Languages (Spanish, French or German)
- English with an ELL Add-on While completing the MAT program requirements, the student is recommended for a practitioner license that enables him/her to carry out and complete all duties and responsibilities of a classroom teacher. The practitioner license is valid for three (3) years, and at the end of that time, all requirements for the MAT program and ETSU graduation must be complete.