Teacher Licensure at ETSU
The Office of Educator Preparation processes all necessary paperwork for candidates who are applying for initial licensure or adding an endorsement to a license in Tennessee, as well as processes forms for ETSU graduates seeking licensure in other states.
Educator preparation programs at East Tennessee State University are approved by the state of Tennessee for Tennessee teacher licensure. State licensure requirements can change without notice, and students who plan to teach in states other than Tennessee are responsible for monitoring licensure requirements in the states where they plan to teach.
Licensure Programs Offered at ETSU
Undergraduate Initial Licensure
Secondary Education: Teacher Preparation Minor (available for the following majors)
Graduate Advanced Licensure
Tennessee Requirements for an Initial Teaching License
- Completion of a state approved educator preparation program
- Qualifying scores on the required assessments
- Recommendation from the Certification Coordinator
Applying for an Initial License
- A Pre-licensing Form begins the sequence of information that leads to the licensure application. Information and a link to this form is emailed to educator preparation students in their final semester.
- The Certification Coordinator will obtain your ETSU transcript after the degree posts, which is usually 2-3 weeks after graduation. It will be submitted with the licensure recommendation.
- It is your responsibility to send all other college transcripts to the state of Tennessee. The issuing institution must send official transcripts to Educator.Licensure@tn.gov through an online clearinghouse, or mail them directly to the office of educator licensure and preparation at the address below.
Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation
Tennessee Department of Education
Andrew Johnson Tower, 9th Floor
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
Electronic transcripts are not accepted from individuals through email. Hard-copy transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution with no evidence of tampering. Please allow a minimum of two weeks from the date that official electronic transcripts are sent, and one month from the date that hard-copy official transcripts are sent, for transcripts to be attached and visible on the preparation tab of your account in TNCompass.
- Original Praxis score reports are essential for ETSU and the state of Tennessee.
Tennessee requires a full and correct Social Security number (SSN) in order to receive score reports and process educator certification applications. Failure to provide an SSN will delay processing of licensure applications.
When registering for the Praxis exam, students should include their Social Security Number and request that scores are sent to ETSU (code 1198) and Tennessee Department of Education (state code 8190).
- The Clemmer College Office of Educator Preparation will assemble required documentation and submit the transaction in TNCompass. At that time, an email providing information for entering a Personal Affirmation in TNCompass is sent to the licensure applicant. The transaction then enters the queue to be reviewed by a state licensure specialist.
Adding an Endorsement
Adding endorsements provides an educator with the flexibility to teach more subjects or grade levels.
Teacher education students who are pursuing initial teaching licensure and wish to add credits toward an add-on endorsement may do so. Please be advised: An add-on program does not necessarily meet the requirements of a minor, and substitutions or approvals made for teaching add-ons do not take the place of catalog requirements or departmental advisement for degree purposes.
The first step to adding an endorsement is the submission of the Declaration of Intent to Pursue Additional Teaching Endorsement to the Office of Educator Preparation by emailing email@example.com
Current Add-on Endorsement Programs
Early Childhood Pre-K-3, 21 cr. hrs.
Early Childhood Pre-K-3, 30 cr. hrs. Earth Science
English as a Second Language
Physical Education K-12
Special Education Comprehensive K-12
Special Education Early Childhood Pre K-3
Special Education Interventionist K-12
Visual Arts K-12
ETSU offers the job-embedded Occupational program for Individuals who are interested in working as an educator in Tennessee and who meet the industry certification requirements of the endorsement area. A job-embedded program requires employment by a school district as the teacher of record while completing this online program.
To qualify for an occupational license, an individual must:
- Be a high School graduate
Meet the requirement for experience in the endorsement area
Meet the industry certification requirements
Be admitted to a state-approved preparation program
Be recommended for licensure by a state-approved preparation program
Steps for an occupational licensure recommendation
- Create an account in TNCompass and submit an occupational license application with supporting documentation.
- Select East Tennessee State University as your university of choice.
- Apply for admission to ETSU and contact the program coordinator for course and program information.
- Become employed as a CTE Occupational teacher.
- ETSU's Office of Educator Preparation will recommend the Practitioner Occupational Licensure in TNCompass when enrollment is documented on the ETSU transcript.
Course enrollment is reported in TNCompass each semester until program completion. Candidates must maintain a GPA average of 2.75 to remain in the program.
Seeking Licensure in Another State
The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement facilitates the mobility of educators among the states and other jurisdictions that are members of NASDTEC and have signed the Agreement. Although there may be conditions applicable to individual jurisdictions, the Agreement makes it possible for an educator who completed an approved program and/or who holds a certificate or license in one jurisdiction to earn a certificate or license in another state or jurisdiction.
Applicants for licensure/certification in a state other than Tennessee will submit a licensure application as directed on the website of that state's department of education.
Verification of Completion of ETSU Licensure Program
An applicant for licensure in another state may be required to submit a program verification form. This form will be found among that state’s application materials.
- Complete the identifying information at the top of the form.
- Send the form to the ETSU Certification Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to the address listed below.
Certification Coordinator, Clemmer College
East Tennessee State University
PO Box 70685
Johnson City TN 37614
- Some verification forms specify where and by what means the forms should be returned (US mail to applicant, email directly to the state's department of education, or other). If no direction is included on the form, please include a note with instructions.
Credential Verification Form
An applicant for licensure in another state may be required to submit a credential verification form. This form will be found among that state’s application materials.
- Complete the identifying information at the top of the form.
- Send the form to the Tennessee Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation at email@example.com
Teacher Education Advisory Committee
The Teacher Education Advisory Committee develops policies to coordinate, implement, and support teacher education programs. Committee members review all curriculum changes affecting teacher education programs prior to submission to the Curriculum Committe or Graduate Council.
The committee is comprised of faculty members from each department of the Clemmer College, four faculty from departments with teacher education programs in the College of Arts & Sciences, two practicing educators, two students in educator preparation programs, and the Clemmer College Certification Coordinator.
TEAC meets once per month during the fall and spring semesters with additional meetings scheduled as needed.
Job-embedded Residency Application
Intent to Hire
Tennessee requires a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to link praxis score reports to educator licensure applications. Failure to provide an SSN on all praxis assessments will delay approval of an application.
Original praxis score reports are essential, so please be certain to designate the Tennessee Department of Education (state code 8190) and ETSU (code 1198) as score recipients during registration for assessments.
ORDER AN ADDITIONAL PRAXIS SCORE REPORT
Failure to include an SSN or list Tennessee as a report recipient necessitates a request for an additional score report for an additional fee. You can order Additional Score Reports (ASR) online, by mail, phone or fax. To order through your Praxis account, sign in or create an account and click the "Order Score Reports" link from your home page.