skip to main content columnskip to left navigationskip to horizontal navigation

Clemmer College

East Tennessee State University

Question Answer
How do I major in Education? Education is not a major at East Tennessee State University.  If you plan to teach, you must select a major that leads to teacher licensure.  There are a variety of majors leading to licensure at the primary, elementary, and secondary levels.  The Clemmer College houses four majors that lead to teacher licensure Early Childhood Development (elementary, PreK-3), Interdisciplinary Studies (Elementary, K-6), Physical Education, and Special Education.  Some majors in the Colleges of Arts and Science, Business and Technology, and Public and Allied Health also lead to teacher licensure.  For instance, if you want to teach high school math, you would major in Mathematics which is in the College of Arts and Sciences and minor in Teacher Education. After choosing a licensure area, you need to make an appointment to meet with a professional advisor in the Clemmer College of Education.  This appointment will be the first of many advisement sessions related to the specific licensure requirements for your major. 
What should my minor be? Can I minor in Education?

A minor is not always required for majors leading to teacher licensure.  If you are pursuing a teacher licensure major that does require a minor, your minor will be Teacher Education. This minor is only open to students pursuing teacher licensure.  

For students following a non-licensure program, the Clemmer College has minors in Early Childhood Development, Special Education, Human Development and Learning, Leisure Services, Sport Management, Physical Education, and Athletic Coaching.  These minors will complement many of the majors at ETSU, although none of them will fulfill teacher licensure requirements.

If you need a minor to graduate in a non-teaching program, you may choose any minor that East Tennessee State University offers.  The undergraduate catalog has information about minors, including the required courses for each minor.  A minor may or may not be related to a major.  One example is that with an Early Childhood non-teaching major, you could minor in Special Education. One of the advisors in the Clemmer College can discuss possible minors with you.

If I want to teach in high school, what should my major and minor be? Does it really matter what minor I choose?  If you plan to pursue a secondary (middle/high school) teaching license, you should select a major based upon the subject that you would like to teach.  For example, History would be your major if you want to teach History. Your minor will be Teacher Education. (See the previous question for information related to this minor). For information on advisement refer to FAQ #9.
I want to work with people in some way, but I don't really want to teach in the classroom. What do you suggest as a major/minor?

There are several majors in the Clemmer College that allow you to work with people and do not involve teaching in the classroom.  These majors are Early Childhood Development General (non-licensure), Special Education General (non-licensure), Human Development and Learning Career, Sport Management and Leisure Services, and Physical Education with a concentration in Exercise Science.  All of these majors would provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary to work in jobs in public or private sectors. 

Early Childhood (non-teaching) majors may direct childcare centers or work with public agencies that provide services to children. 

The Sport Management and Leisure Services major has two concentrations, one in Sport Management and the other in Parks and Recreation.  If you pursued the Sport Management concentration, you might pursue a job with a business such as the Bristol Motor Speedway or a professional football team.  With a concentration in Parks and Recreation, you might work direct a city's recreation program or coordinate activities as a camp leader.

Majoring in Human Development and Learning Career would allow you to work in public or private jobs that assist individuals in attaining a better quality of life.

I really just want to coach a high school sport. What would be a good major and minor for me? Typically high school coaches are licensed teachers who have experience with the sports they are coaching.  Tennessee does not offer licensure in coaching, therefore taking coaching courses is not a requirement to coach.  East Tennessee State University does offer a minor in athletic coaching.  This minor provides courses that would help you understand the psychological, sociological, and performance aspects in coaching.  If you want to coach in a school setting you should pursue teacher licensure in areas you would like to teach to enhance employment opportunities. 
Can I finish my degree in four years? Each program of study dictates the number of hours necessary to graduate; additionally, the number of credit hours you successfully complete each semester impacts when you graduate.  Some programs take longer to complete than others.  Most programs are designed to be completed within four years provided you take at least 16 hours of applicable courses each semester; however, the majority of students take longer.  It is not unusual for students pursuing teacher licensure to complete in five years.
What are intensives? Writing, Oral, and Technology intensives are ETSU graduation requirements, and specific courses are designated as intensive.  Majors in the Clemmer College contain courses that will meet either all or some of the intensive requirements.  You will be advised as to how intensives will be met in your academic program.  All students at East Tennessee State University must meet intensive requirements to graduate.
What is the General Education Core? The General Education Core is a set of courses that meet specific requirements in the areas of Communication, Using Mathematics, Natural Sciences, History, Humanities and Fine Arts, and Social & Behavioral Sciences for all bachelor degree students.  These courses enable you to acquire important skills and knowledge and develop qualities of thought and character to foster a positive quality of living.  Majors within the Clemmer College may have specific courses to meet general education core requirements. Be sure to consult with your advisor in choosing your General Education Core course work. 
Who will be my advisor and how often do I have to see them? If you pursue a major in Early Childhood Development, Special Education, Interdisciplinary Studies, Physical Education K-12 (teaching), or Human Development and Learning, you will be advised by Clemmer College professional advisors when you first enter the university. Should you decide to major in Physical Education with a concentration in Exercise Science or in Sport and Leisure Management, you will advised by faculty in the chosen major. You are required to have advisement at least the first four semesters in school. The Clemmer College contacts students who are required to have advisement to discuss appropriate course selection and other pertinent program information before they are allowed to register each semester. If your major results in teacher licensure, you will see the colleges professional advisors until you meet a set of criteria that allow you to be admitted to teacher education. After being admitted to teacher education, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in your program who will meet with you concerning the remaining requirements in your licensure program.
Can I get tutoring here on campus? Is there a charge? There are a variety of tutoring services across campus that are available to students at no charge.  You may also obtain assistance in mathematics from the Math Lab and in oral and writing skills from the Writing Lab.  The Clemmer College professional advisors will help you identify academic areas where assistance is necessary and refer you to proper resources.
My question is not frequently asked. How can I get an answer?

You may have questions not covered in this section. A professional advisor would be glad to assist you and may be reached through the following contact points:


Joel Tramel - 
Mary B. Andrews - a

From a campus phone, dial 9-7626.

icon for left menu icon for right menu