Qualifications & Application
The Washington Center's internship program
To be eligible to participate in The Washington Center's internship program, you must:
- be at least 18 years old;
- be at least a sophomore enrolled at East Tennessee State University;
- have earned a minimum 2.75 GPA; and,
- have the approval of the ETSU campus liaison: Ms. Karla Leybold (email@example.com)
Before you apply to The Washington Center's internship program, you should meet with the ETSU campus liaison to discuss the program, your eligibility, the costs, and the required application materials. In fact, you should plan on meeting with the liaison multiple times -- before your application is even submitted.
To apply to The Washington Center, you must complete and submit the following materials:
- An online application that can be accessed here. (Click on Apply Now. Create your account. Once you start your application, you can save it at any time, and return to it.) Do not upload any documents to your application until they have been reviewed by the campus liaison.
- A resume. You will compose a one-page resume that highlights your educational background, work experience, activities, skills, etc. (Be sure to take advantage of University Career Services when developing your resume. For instance, its website includes sample/model resumes.)
- An issues essay. You will compose a 500-word essay in which you reflect on an issue that you consider significant. The topic of your essay should be relevant to the professional field of your planned internship site. Also, be sure that your essay includes your own personal opinion on the topic being discussed. (The essay is used as a writing sample, so it should demonstrate your written communication skills.)
- A statement of interest. You will compose a 100-word statement in which you explain the kinds of skills you hope to learn/use and the activities you hope to engage in during your internship site experience and how these activities relate to your career and professional goals. Do not specify any specific organization in this statement.
- Transcripts. You will need to arrange for an official copy of your transcripts (from all colleges/universities that you have attended) to be sent directly to The Washington Center. The organizations mailing address is: The Washington Center, ATTN: Enrollment Services, 1333 16th Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20036.
- Letters of recommendation. You will need two letters of recommendation one of which must come from a faculty member. The second letter writer may be a professional supervisor. (Letters should not come from family members, friends, or high school teachers.) Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the letter writer. (In your online application, you will be prompted to provide contact information for each letter writer. Recommenders will then be contacted with instructions on how to submit their letters.)
Be sure to take some care in preparing all of your materials since they will be viewed by the campus liaison, the staff at The Washington Center, and staff at your prospective internship sites.