4th Annual Big Train Show hosted by the G. L. Carter Railroad Museum
ETSU’s Mini-Dome May 31-June 1, 2019
Scores of vendors with hundreds of sales and display tables featuring model trains in all scales, model railroad accessories, books, DVDs, and clothing covering the 64,000 sq. ft. venue. Operating model railroad layouts including live-steam.
Doors open Friday noon to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
This is becoming one of the largest model train shows in the southeast. For information,
including vendor information contact Big Train Show coordinator, Roger Teinert, at
- Scheduled for the last Saturday of each month these special events commemorate a particular railroad, area railroads, special railroad types, or those of a particular region of the United States with museum displays and operating model trains representing the heritage theme.
- Annual calendar of these events is prepared and posted in January
- Families can schedule birthday parties for their children, friends and family
- Party packages include:
- 1 hour reserved play time in the museum’s Little Engineers Room
- 1-2 hours in a decorated party room (building on campus, but not in the museum)
- Party railroad-themed toys/hats/neckerchiefs available at extra cost
- Spring and Fall rail excursions are scheduled to area railroads as day trips for the public
- Excursion packages include:
- Roundtrip bus ride from ETSU on modern, restroom-equipped motor coaches
- Ride on trains pulled by steam and/or diesel locomotives in scenic areas
- Other highlights such as museum tickets, meals, boat rides, etc. as included in the
excursion to a particular railroad.
- Special tours of the museum can be arranged by contacting the director for groups
who cannot visit the museum during its regularly scheduled hours of operation.
- The museum’s Cope Memorial Traveling layout is often used to represent the railroad museum and its affiliated organizations at public events such as Johnson City’s Blue Plum Festival and Jonesborough Days.