Students in Surveying and Mapping Science pursue coursework leading to professional land surveying practice and successful completion the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying exam. Graduates from this program are well-prepared for future licensing in any state and for occupying professional-level positions with surveying and engineering firms, government service, utility companies, and related industries.
Surveying is a rapidly developing profession that deals with spatial information -
it answers the “where” question. As almost all information has some kind of location,
the variety of information and applications which the Professional Surveyor deals
with is extremely wide. The online Surveying and Mapping degree program at ETSU meets or exceeds the minimum educational requirements for surveying licensure in most
states and many foreign jurisdictions.
ETSU's Online Bachelor's Degree in Land Surveying is grounded in the sciences, notably the sciences of mathematics and measurement theory. And, perhaps to a greater extent than many other professions, surveying is being rapidly affected by new technological changes, such as GPS, GIS, computerized mapping, robotics, scanning, and wireless communicationsprepares. Our online surveying degree is accredited by the Applied Science Accreditation Commission of ABET and prepares students for licensing in any state.
This program is delivered primarily through synchronous online courses and is specifically designed to ensure successful completion for working professionals from all over the country. Please contact us for information about synchronous courses. The lecture component of most online surveying courses is videostreamed, recorded, and made available to all students.
Students who enroll in sections that have a live videostreaming option also have the
option of making arrangements to perform lab exercises off-campus. Those who exercise
this option will need to make arrangements with a partner who will assist in administering
exams and lab assignments at off-campus locations.
Program of Study
Within two to four years graduates with a B.S. in Surveying and Mapping Science will:
- Be prepared to successfully complete the FS (Fundamentals of Surveying) portion of the professional license exam;
- Seek progressive experience and increased professional opportunities;
Become active and strive for leadership roles in the state and national organizations that represent their profession;
- Contribute to the continuing success of the ETSU program and the profession.
The student outcomes for the B.S. degree in Surveying and Mapping Science include the General Criteria a-k established by the ASAC of ABET plus the following:
ASAC of ABET – General Criteria for Student Outcomes:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and applied sciences
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to formulate or design a system, process, or program to meet desired needs
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify and solve applied science problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of solutions in a global and societal context
- a recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern scientific and technical tools necessary for professional practice.
ETSU Program Specific Student Outcomes
Graduates can function:
- As a professional,
- As an effective member of a project team,
- In a dynamic (changing) environment
The program will produce graduates who are technically competent and adapt to the work environment, meaning that the graduates have knowledge of and exposure to basic surveying field equipment and general understanding of surveying laws
Apply to ETSU
For help with your application or questions concerning the admissions process, you can contact the Office of Admissions directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at 1-800-462-3878.
Tuition, Fee, and Financial Assistance
ETSU eRate (for out-of-state students taking ALL course work online in any semester)
Border County Information: Students in North Carolina and Virginia living in counties bordering Tennessee may
receive in-state tuition. For more detailed tuition information based on your specific situation, please contact
the ETSU Office of Admissions.
Student accounts, payment calendars, and payment plan information
Let Us Introduce You to The Program Advisor!