The ETSU Counseling Center is the primary mental health counseling provider for the ETSU main campus. We offer clinical training opportunities for students seeking a graduate degree in the mental health field. Students may receive training in a Masters-level Counseling Practicum and/or Internship, or a field placement in the second-year Masters-level Social Work program.
The Training Experience
Interns become an active part of a professional, multidisciplinary team and provide direct services to clients through needs assessment, individual and couples counseling, group experience, psychological first aid, and crisis counseling. Opportunities for outreach, classroom presentations, and co-facilitating groups are also available.
Supervision includes weekly didactic trainings, attending live counseling sessions, co-therapy with senior licensed counselors, review of videotaped counseling sessions and case notes/documentation, case consultation, and ongoing research and professional development. Interns are reviewed at the beginning, middle and end of their internship with clear clinical goals defined and constructive feedback for the intern's personal growth. Supervision includes at least one hour per week of face to face contact with a clinical supervisor.
How do I know if I am a good fit for this site?
- This is a great site for those seeking a career in counseling, psychotherapy and/or the direct practice of clinical social work.
- Preference will be given to students willing to make a two-semester commitment.
- Counseling Practicum experiences are usually scheduled for summer sessions only.
- Trainees cannot receive counseling at the Center while participating in training. There must be a least one (1) semester between receiving client services here at the Center and applying for a practicum, internship or field experience.
- Trainees must attend orientation prior to the beginning of the semester. Orientation for the training site typically occurs the Friday before semester classes begin.
- Trainees must be available and on site Friday mornings 8am-11am for two mandatory weekly meetings (internship seminar and case conference) throughout each semester experience.
- While diagnosis is not a core aspect of our training philosophy, we recognize its importance as a part of future employment for many trainees, and we integrate the use of the DSM in our clinical work.
How do I apply for a practicum or internship position?
Applicants may apply for a practicum or internship position by completing and submitting our application, along with an updated resume and contact information for three (3) current professional/academic references.
Please submit any inquiries and all application material to:
Rebecca Alexander, LMFT
Associate Director of Clinical Services
ETSU Counseling Center
We hire full-time (20 hires/week) graduate assistants in the following outreach areas:
- Suicide and Violence Prevention
- Campus Alcohol & Other Drug Program
- Wellness Peer Education/Resilience Outreach
We are NO LONGER accepting GA applications for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please check back later for open positions.
We hire APS student workers for a variety of positions.
We are NO LONGER accepting APS applications for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please check back later for open positions.
To inquire about training opportunities, including Internships, Graduate Assistantships and APS Positions. Email us at email@example.com